Saturday, February 16, 2013

Sophia Renee: A photographer known for capturing the beautiful people finds inspiration in Old Florida.

Recently we came across a small but impressive series of photographs aptly titled The Old Florida Project.  The artist behind these images is Sophia Renee, a photographer of some renown. A quick review of Ms. Renee’s online portfolio (www.sophiareneephotography.com) reveals a photographer of amazing versatility if not complex contradictions.  Her claim to fame ( judging by the thousands who follow her on social media and the blogs which feature her work) is a powerful array of portraits featuring stalwart male models, tattooed skateboarders, and faces that can only be described as genetically gifted.  With commercial licensing deals behind and in front of her, these are the images which have brought her the most acclaim and financial success as an independent artist.



The Seabreeze Restaurant on Cedar Key


But hiding quietly among the eye candy is what Sophia refers to as the “unsung hero” of  her professional portfolio. The Old Florida Project is a labor of love, an homage to the state where she was born, raised and now lives again after years spent traveling and living elsewhere. Her unique take on Florida is all the more interesting when you consider her age. Barely 40 years old, her style evokes a time she is too young to have known. A crumbling stilt house on the road to Cedar Key, an abandoned water tower  built in the 1920‘s, Micanopy’s Herlong Mansion,  old motel signs along Gulf Blvd,  a country store from long ago… Thoughtful images taken in the present that feel very much like the past. 

ISOOF: Why Old Florida? 

Sophia Renee: There is a real beauty and mystique surrounding Old Florida history. I didn’t get it or appreciate it when I was growing up in Tampa. Tampa definitely has its historical points of interest, such as Ybor City, but I wouldn’t exactly call it Old Florida. The Florida I love is a Florida that hearkens back to a simpler time; Cross Creek, Cedar Key, forgotten towns along The Old Florida Heritage Highway and 301. It’s a vanishing landscape. But it’s still out there if you know where to look.

ISOOF: You refer to The Old Florida Project as the unsung hero of your professional portfolio. What do you mean by that?

Sophia Renee: I am not really known for my Old Florida images. The most tangible financial success and recognition I have received regarding my work to this point has come primarily from the work I do with male models. The men seem to get all of the attention. I don’t complain. I feel fortunate to be recognized at all. There are artists who work a lifetime and never see their images licensed for commercial use.  I guess something about my work with men resonates more than Old Florida. Or maybe my Old Florida work just hasn’t found an audience yet. I am hopeful. It’s my passion. I would love to be able to devote more time to it.


Her color photographs of Cedar Key evoke watercolor.

ISOOF: Looking over your portraits and landscapes, one can't help but notice a retro quality. 

I actually am complimented by that assessment. Editing plays a big part in my work, but I do have an affinity for vintage art and imagery-  50s Americana and pin-up queens queens like Jayne Mansfield and Mamie Van Doren, scratchy, low-budget films of the 70s, those really gritty 1980s images of teen skaters on Venice Beach , etc… I love all that stuff.  I think it all just bleeds into my overall aesthetic. I probably channel a little of everything I love into everything I shoot.  My color stuff has a more modern feel. But I definitely try to age the black and white images. I want them to look old and have an authenticity about them.

The Thunderbird Inn. Treasure Island, Florida

ISOOF: What is your favorite Old Florida spot and why?

I would love to say Key West. I have a real love for Key West having lived and spent time there. But it’s so commercial now. Every time I go back it seems more and more unlike the place I remember. I love Micanopy, Cross Creek, Captiva… But if I had to pick a favorite, I would have to say Cedar Key. It’s a very special place. It still feels like Old Florida to me. It’s desolate. It’s a hard place to get to. You don’t just stumble upon it by accident. You have to want to get there. The road is long and picturesque. It  still has that time gone by quality that  has become harder and harder to find. I could live there.


ISOOF: Where can we see your Old Florida work? 

For now, only on my website.  At some point, I may probably try to participate in the Cedar Key Arts Festival. I would love to get involved in the Old Florida arts community but I stay busy shooting models most of the year and haven't made the time. 


Gulfport, Fl

Sophia’s work can be found at www.sophiareneephotography.com
Her Old Florida landscapes are located on the page titled The Old Florida Project. Her Old Florida images are available to purchase. They range in price from $25.00 prints to $2,500 large-scale originals.